What is Varnish?
Varnish is the buildup of oil degradation products that sticks to the internals of lubricating and hydraulic oil systems. Due to the ever-increasing requirements on equipment tolerances, efficiency and the industry’s move to Group II base oils, varnish has become a major issue throughout the industrial world.
- Valve “stiction” – stick and slip
- Increased wear in critical components
- Costly pump damage
- Reduced product integrity
- Increased scrap rate
- Down time due to valve and pump repair
- Increase bearing and oil temperatures
- Start-up failures
- Oil degradation